Vizcaya has long embraced DEAI as a central part of its organizational identity, with its Board-approved Core Values prioritizing an inclusive, welcoming and respectful environment for visitors, volunteers and employees of diverse backgrounds since 2005. In recent years, Vizcaya has strengthened its commitment to DEAI in numerous ways:
- Vision Statement: Our vision statement defines Vizcaya as an inclusive place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality of the world around us—by this we mean the diverse community in which we reside.
- Strategic Plan: Our 2019-2022 strategic plan set goals for increasing diversity among Vizcaya’s staff, volunteers and Board members and we also set our sights on meeting at least 85% of the criteria for being a “proactive” organization in accordance with the Centre for Global Inclusion’s “Global Diversity & Inclusion Benchmarks.” We have ongoing work relative to both of these initiatives.
- DEAI Council: In 2019, Vizcaya established an internal DEAI committee, now called a council, consisting of staff from across the organization. Meeting approximately once each month, this council focuses on strategic priorities and creates policies and practices to advance DEAI internally and in our work with the public.
- Cordeiro Volunteer Activities Fellow: Vizcaya secured a major grant from a family foundation to establish a full-time staff position dedicated to expanding Vizcaya’s relevance, deepening and building new relationships, and developing new volunteer and internship opportunities throughout our local community.
- Consultation Services: In 2021, Vizcaya worked with The Norfus Firm to review and enhance the inclusiveness of our recruitment policies and practices. In 2021, Vizcaya began working with Seattle-based Executive Diversity Services to conduct an internal climate assessment, establish future DEAI priorities and implement DEAI training for its staff and Board.